From 1852 to 1892, the section of Windsor now encompassed by St. Gabriel parish was the responsibility of St. Mary, Windsor Locks. In 1853, Father James Smyth offered the area’s first Mass at the home of John Hickey. On November 1, 1865, Father Smyth purchased an Episcopal church named for St. Gabriel, a small frame structure directly north behind the present day church on Windsor Avenue. In 1892, St. Gabriel passed to the jurisdiction of St. Joseph parish, Poquonock. On May 16, 1915, the cornerstone of a new St. Gabriel was blessed by St. Joseph pastor Father John J. Fitzgerald. On May 14, 1916, Bishop John J. Nilan dedicated the church. The prelate raised St. Gabriel to parish status in 1921. Father John F. Quinn was appointed first residing pastor. In the spring of 1956 Father Quinn bought three former public school buildings on Bloomfield Avenue from the Town of Windsor. In September 1956, St. Gabriel School opened in the purchased buildings staffed by the Felician Sisters. In 1985, the Felician Sisters left the parish and were succeeded by the Sisters of St. Joseph.