Hartford pastors first assumed spiritual responsibility of the Poquonock section of Windsor, and Father John Brady celebrated the first Mass at the Conroy home in 1848. In the fall of 1848, Poquonock passed to the care of New Britain priests. In 1852, St. Mary Church, Windsor Locks, assumed charge of Poquonock. Father James Smyth rented Franklin Hall, a former Congregational meetinghouse, for Sunday Masses. At some point prior to 1886, the hall was purchased, relocated to Kearney Street and designated Holy Name Hall. The Poquonock Catholic enclave soon desired a larger church for their growing community. On January 30, 1887, Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon dedicated St. Joseph Church. In August 1892, St. Joseph was made an independent parish, with Father John Fleming named first pastor.